Our Story

How it all started...

Christ’s Church of the Valley began as a First Christian Church mission Sunday School meeting in the Brooks home in the early forties. By 1948 a Quonset hut had been constructed on the corner of Rexland Drive and Garber Way, and the congregation had formally organized as the Community Christian Church in May of that year. There were over thirty charter members. The first minister of Community Christian Church was William Spicer, who was followed a year later by Charles Odell.
From 1950 to 1953, Jim Kimsey served as the minister. In November of 1952, the name of the church was changed to Rexland Christian Church.

When Jim Kimsey left in 1953 to continue his education, Otis Bell was called to be the minister. During the time he served the congregation, a parsonage was purchased along with a building north of the church to be used for additional classrooms.

Herman Lippert came to minister to the Church in February of 1958. During his time of service, a classroom building was started and completed.

In the summer of 1965, Ken Monson came to minister with the congregation. During his three years of service, a parsonage was sold to reduce debt, and a decision was made to relocate to the southwest part of the city. The name of the church was again changed to reflect the area to which it was moving, and it became Ming Avenue Christian Church.

In the middle of this transition, Curtis Moore was called to minister with the congregation and help lead the transition to the new location. In the meantime, the congregation met in school auditoriums while the education building from the old site was moved to the Ming Avenue property. Initially, the building housed classrooms, an office, and a sanctuary. Soon a separate office building was erected, followed by a chapel building with additional classrooms, and finally a nursery/preschool building.

In 1990, Steve Moore was called to minister with the congregation after serving as interim minister for a year.  The Ming Avenue property was sold in May of 1995. The church again changed its name, this time to Christ’s Church of the Valley. A new 8.5-acre site was purchased at the corner of Stockdale Highway and Jenkins Road, and construction began in 1997.
Bob Johnson was called to minister in 2002.

In November of 2007, Michael Foutz was called as Senior Minister.

Kevin Carlson was called to the Senior Minister position in 2014.

In 2017, Rick Stedman was called to serve as Interim Pastor and later became Senior Pastor in 2019.

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 9:00 am and 10:30 am.